Crete greece dating
from Chania, south of Souda bay, near the village of Megala Horafia, which had a view of the whole plain of Chania. This town, the port of Polyrrhenia, lay to the west of it, in the base of the extreme northwest peninsula of the district of Chania.
The archives are among the largest in the country, second only to General Archives of the Greek State.Built thoroughly with the prevalent raw materials (stone-wood-clay), under the creative architectural improvising of the founder, they possess an aesthetic quality unique in the area.The collections are broad in scope, from agricultural implements to embroideries and from herbs to rhymes.South of the agora is a temple from the Geometric period, the Delphinion, dedicated to Apollo, as well as a large cistern dug between the late 3rd and early 2nd century B. It was from here that Minoan farming estates, two sacred peaks, a cemetery and cave tombs have been discovered15 km.west of Aghios Nikolaos, is spread out on the slopes of two acropolises. C., it was one of the most powerful cities in Crete in its hey-day.At the same place, 16 years later, on December 1st 1913, Eleftherios Venizelos witnessed the island's union with the rest of Greece.
Today, the fort houses the city's Naval Museum and a small, summer theatre.
The ruins include the city walls, houses and shops from different periods built on terraces It is an islet at the entrance of the Elounta bay.
In antiquity there was a fortress of the Olounites.
In order to protect the small bay near by, from the pirates, it was decided, in 1371, to construct this fortress.
It was barely used during the Venetian occupation, and on the eve of the Turkish attack, it was actually abandoned.
Certain of the more important pieces on exhibit in the Heraklion Archaeological Museum the larnax, the Harvester Vase, and the impeccably painted frescoes come from the site46 km. A city that flourished particularly during the Roman era, Gortys was the capital of the Roman province of Crete and Cyrenaica. AD.), residence of the Roman governor of the province, and the Nymphaion (2nd c. Despite this blow, people continued to live there for another fifty years, until a fire swept through the city circa 1400 B. The Minoan palaces were not only the residence of the ruling house, they were also administrative and religious centers for the whole region.